Sunday, April 29, 2007

Oh, happy day!


Actually, she's been in the world exactly three months and 14 days already, but today our dear baby Riley was baptized into the faith. Well, she was baptized in the Methodist church, but the point is, her young mother made the conscious choice to have her baptized, and for that, I am exceedingly glad.

She is the granddaughter of the Loved One, which makes me her...uh...well, I'm going for Lalah at this point. It's what my three lovely nieces call me, and it will suffice for this situation as well. Riley is an absolutely dear baby and I love her every bit as much as if we shared DNA.

Dear Daughter painted the baby a very sweet baptismal gift of a sectioned plate with a line from "Monday's Child" on it. I painted her a two-handled cup with scallop shells for the sacrament of Baptism. And we found the tiniest Celtic cross on a brooch, wrought in sterling at the Pauline bookstore.

I always cry at baptisms. What a beautiful way to expand the family. At this particular church, there were six infants baptized today. Oh happy, happy day!

No comments: