Saturday, April 28, 2007

Silent but deadly...




I had an extremely difficult time coming up with a title for this post, so if you're giggling, quit it, or I'll pout. I'm not talking about air biscuits, as Dear Daughter has been known to say, but rather this large and wonderful fellow named Archimedes.

Archimedes lives in the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere, where he is part of an educational program that is lively, informative and entertaining. His species is native to Western Europe, specifically Germany, if I recall correctly. He looks as if he is straight out of the Black Forest.

This is not a particularly good photo, but I do love his eyes. He has a way of looking at you that is eerie and powerful. I suppose that's his way of paralyzing his prey with fear. I'm sure if I were a rabbit or a squirrel, I would have been trembling on the spot. The day we saw him, he flew across the audience from the back of the amphitheatre to a perch on the stage. We never heard him, as his feathers are constructed in such a way as to make his flight totally inaudible. Death truly comes on silent wings.

No comments: