Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Walk Through Fields of Gold


The Italian word for "sunflower" is "girasole." Say it with me -- \jir-e-sol\ (sorry, I can't do all of the necessary diacritical marks that would indicate the "schwa" sound and the long o). Don't you love how that slips delicately off of the tongue? And to me, anyway, it's onamatopoeic...the very word sounds like a tall green shoot stretching elegantly toward the sun.


On my commute to and from work, I pass three fields of small sunflowers. They're currently in glorious bloom. It's all I can do to drive by without flinging myself into their rich colors and happy multitude. Yesterday afternoon, I succumbed to the temptation and tiptoed through the mud into the first couple of rows to take some photos.




It was bright and hot--about 92 degrees. Grasshoppers danced around me and a couple of bees lit on my arm to see if I had anything that could compare with the nectar of the sunflowers. Finding me lacking in sweetness, they buzzed away and rededicated their attention to the lovely blooms.



Today in 1817, the town of Dannybrook, County Cork, Ireland, hosted the first recorded flower show. I can't imagine they had anything that could possibly compare with this.

No comments: